Awards Criteria and Guidelines
The nomination process is split into four phases to deliver the highest quality nominations and winners.
Due to the level of skill and expertise Non-Executive Directors provide to Scottish businesses.
Each nomination in both the Director and Regional Awards respond to a number of questions:
- Description of business
- Year company was established
- Year nominee joined company
- Number of years nominee has had at Director level
- Turnover for the last three financial years
- Pre-tax Profit (or Surplus for Third Sector organisations) for the last three financial years
- Number of employees at company
- The performance of the nominee’s company or organisation in the last 12 months
- Relevant facts, figures and evidence, e.g. year-on-year comparisons, growth in staff numbers or exports score more highly with the judges than general statements and anecdotes.
- The nominee’s role in improving the organisation’s performance in the last 12 months
- What makes this individual an outstanding director?
- Demonstrate the nominee’s individual achievement, initiative, experience, drive and commitment to responsible and sustainable business practice that have contributed to the success of the business organisation in 2016.
Nominations in the Third Sector and the NEW category – Director Award for Workplace Innovation – should also include additional information, specific to the category. Guidance notes are included on the online form and can also be viewed under Notes on the Award Categories page.
Nominations in the Director categories are assessed by an independent panel of judges – selected candidates from this phase progress to the next stage.
Nominations in the Regional categories are judged by the Institute’s branch committees who select the winners and finalists.
Should a Regional submission be considered relevant for one of the Director categories and not already entered, it may be passed to the independent panel of judges in this phase.
Should a Director submission be considered relevant for one of the Regional categories and not already entered, it may be passed to the Institute’s branch committees in this phase.
Those selected to go through to this phase in the Director categories are contacted direct, along with their nominator, and asked to provide a colour head and shoulders photograph, confirmation of their key details and to complete a supplementary form to provide information in response to the following:
- The nominee’s achievements in personal and staff development and employee engagement;
- The nominee’s strategic leadership approach which achieves social, environmental and economic success for their business and for Scotland;
- The nominee’s contribution to robust corporate governance (The purpose of corporate governance is to facilitate effective, entrepreneurial and prudent management that can deliver long-term success of the company. It is about what the board of a company does and how it sets the values of the company and is to be distinguished from the day to day operational management of the company by full time executives)
- The nominee’s contribution to the profession of directorship (use of the Board to best effect in order to develop strategy, set clear goals and monitor and measure performance).
Please ensure your nominee is notified of any submission you may make on their behalf.
The information submitted in phase 3 is considered together with the information from Phase 1 by an independent judging panel who agree a shortlist of up to 4 candidates in each of the Director Award categories.
Edinburgh Napier University Business School carry out background checks on all finalists, including Company House records and various other sources through the Edinburgh Research Institute (ERI).
All submission in the Non-Executive Director category will also be considered at this stage.
Nominations are open to all at director level or equivalent, whether or not you are an IoD member.
You are encouraged to put forward an individual for more than one category where appropriate, but nominees will not be eligible to win more than one Director Award.
The category winners and finalists will be acknowledged and celebrated at the Awards Ceremony & Gala Dinner in Glasgow on Thursday 23 March 2017.
If you have any queries please email email@example.com or call Joyce on 01577 865498 / 07711 432745 or Alice on 07483 812596.