Remade in Edinburgh Board of Trustees – vacancies
Remade in Edinburgh is an innovative, multi award-winning social enterprise which teaches repair skills across Edinburgh, campaigns for zero waste, and runs the Edinburgh Remakery, our community hub in Leith.
Due to continued growth and demand for services, Remade in Edinburgh is seeking 2-3 committed leaders to join its Board of Trustees.
We want to see a future where everyone has the skills to repair furniture, computers and clothes, and household goods are designed to last. The organisation was started up with £60 and a group of volunteers in 2011 and now has an annual turnover of over £200,000 and eight members of staff. Our priorities now are to continue innovating and delivering high-quality service across the whole of Edinburgh; raise awareness for our work; become more financially sustainable through trading – we are aiming to generate 70% of income from sales in the next year; and increase the amount of waste diverted from landfill through delivering more practical workshops, increasing the size and scope of our IT and furniture repair and sales and delivering a new corporate partnership and training programme.
About Remade in Edinburgh’s Board of Trustees:
Remade’s Board of Trustees is the top governance body for the charity, serving as stewards of its resources, and ultimately responsible for its strategy, operations and financial management. The Trustees serve on a voluntary basis, and meet quarterly in Edinburgh. The term of office is 2 years, renewable once. The Trustees seek to work closely with the Chief Executive of Remade in Edinburgh to achieve its goals, and are responsible for providing support, guidance and decisions in the following areas:
• Strategic thinking, including approving the strategy proposed by the Chief Executive.
• Financial oversight, including a formal review of the organisation’s annual budget and supporting the Chief Executive with financial management and organisation.
• Guidance and support, including giving advice to the Chief Executive about the operations of the organisation in areas such as personnel management, strategic choices and legal requirements.
• Networking, including using your personal and professional network to assist the Chief Executive in gaining high level access to relevant individuals and institutions to support the operation and growth of the organisation
• Fundraising, including assisting the Chief Executive in gaining high level access to potential donors and supporters, and providing advice and assistance more generally on areas of fundraising.
• Public Relations, including advice and assistance in raising and maintaining the profile of Remade in Edinburgh.
As we continue to grow, we are looking for new members to join our board of Trustees and help to take our operations and impact to the next level. In all of our Trustees, we look for dedicated professionals with a passion for Remade in Edinburgh’s vision and mission who have senior level leadership experience and are willing to help Remade in Edinburgh using their reputation and networks. We are specifically looking for Trustees who can support us in one
or more of the following ways:
• To introduce us to prospective major donors and influencers;
• To provide expertise around legal issues and HR processes;
• By bringing expertise of PR, press and marketing and a strong track record of getting press coverage, at both local and national level;
• By bringing expertise of successful development and/or management of retail business;
• By bringing experience of working at a strategic or senior managerial level in the Social Enterprise sector. If selected to join our Board of Trustees, you will be expected to attend:
• 7 x board meetings annually (held on a weekday evening 5.30-7.30);
• 1 x annual half-day Board away/development day
• 1 x social events (e.g. holiday party)
You will also be expected to provide ad hoc support for the Chief Executive through emails, phone calls, and occasional in-person meetings (e.g. with funders or important stakeholders). The total time commitment for Trustees is expected to be around 6 hours per month. This is an unpaid, voluntary post.
How to Apply
1. Please send an email outlining your interest in the role and related experience, along with a CV, to: Kendra Walsh, acting Chair and head of Business Development at Expert Impact (email: email@example.com)
2. Our CEO, Board Chair or another Trustee will be in touch to have an informal conversation about your interest in being involved as a Trustee.
3. Successful applicants will be asked to attend two Board meetings and meet the other members before being formally invited to join the Board and completing the required paperwork