Scotland Wheelchair Rugby League – Chair
Scotland Wheelchair Rugby League (SWRL) is seeking to recruit a new Chair to drive the growth of wheelchair rugby league in Scotland: a fast, dynamic sport which offers the opportunity for all to participate and reach their potential. The Chair will
– work with and provide leadership to the SWRL management board in setting the direction of the organisation,
– facilitate and lead on the development, implementation and review of the organisation’s strategic plan and long-term goals.
– oversee and guide decisions made by the Board, ensuring effective implementation.
– ensure financial stability.
– liaise regularly with the senior coaching staff and key volunteers to maintain an overview of the sports direction and development and to provide support and guidance as appropriate.
– optimise the relationship between key stakeholders and participants.
oversee the SWRL international team’s participation in its programme of events and tournaments.
The successful candidate will be committed to working towards developing and delivering the vision of SWRL, leading meetings on a regular basis and overseeing and monitoring key activities being taken forward, as outlined above. Ideally, we are looking for someone who has previous experience of chairing a voluntary or sports organisation, charity or business. However, depending upon skills and experience such a requirement may not be necessary.
If you have the enthusiasm coupled with relevant skills/experience for such a role or for more information, please contact us.
About Scotland Wheelchair Rugby League
Scotland Wheelchair Rugby League oversees the sport of wheelchair rugby league in Scotland. Its mission is to:
• Grow and establish wheelchair rugby league in Scotland as a sport of choice for all, creating opportunities for anyone to participate and enjoy the game.
• Provide a player development pathway that supports all to reach their potential, whilst ensuring a strong ethos for developing qualified coaches and officials to further support the sport.
• Develop a sustainable game and vibrant Scotland Wheelchair Rugby League community, supported by teams and fixtures.
• Develop key partnerships that are beneficial for all.
The management board meets on a regular basis. These meetings may take place in different locations and participation may occasionally be by telephone call.
SWRL is supported by Scotland Rugby League, the over arching body for all rugby league activity in Scotland. It also has a good working relationships with the Rugby Football League (RFL) and equivalent wheelchair rugby league bodies in England, Wales and Ireland.
International wheelchair rugby league is developing quickly. SWRL take part in an annual Celtic Cup with Wales and Ireland, there is a 4 Nations tournament including England and every 4 years, a Wheelchair Rugby League World Cup. This is being held in France in July 2017.
Skills and Experience
Knowledge of wheelchair rugby league is not essential. SWRL is looking for an individual with drive and commitment to see the sport grow in a sustainable way, and who will ideally have the following skills & experience:
• Set, communicate and implement the strategy and vision for an organisation or group
• A track record of developing individuals and teams
• Leadership of others
• Able to build productive, positive relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders, players and volunteers
• Management of budgets and fund-raising activities
• Ability to grow the profile and reputation of SWRL using a range of media and opportunities/events.
Frequency & Commitment
A commitment to attend board meetings and take forward the activities of SWRL. This normally equates to c.1-2 days per month.
Occasional attendance at Scotland Rugby League Board meetings as the representative of the SWRL Management Board..
Closing date for applications: Friday 2nd June.
Please contact one of the following for further information:
Keith Hogg (Chair: Scotland Rugby League): email@example.com
Neil Rutherford (Wheelchair and Partnerships Director: Scotland Rugby League): firstname.lastname@example.org
Elizabeth Ferris, President, Scotland Wheelchair Rugby League: email@example.com
Scotland Wheelchair Rugby League is an equal opportunities employer and would welcome applications from a full diverse range of candidates, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith or disability. All appointments are made purely on the basis of merit and ability.
This vacancy is not open to anyone who has been:
– Disqualified from holding a Directorship in a Limited Company
– Disqualified from being a Charity Trustee pursuant to section 69 of the Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Act 2005
– Suspended or removed as a Charity Trustee pursuant to section 34 of the same Act.